Reviews of our InDesign course - Advanced
InDesign course - Advanced - Introduction rating: 5 stars from 326 reviewers
"I'm absolutely thrilled to have learned InDesign. Michael really demystified the program, and I really enjoyed the way he presented the information to the group. This was my "jump into the deep end" effort to get up-to-date with technology in my field and thank you so much to Michael for making that possible! " - Kirby GSee all reviews for InDesign courses and classes
All InDesign classes include
Certificate of Completion
InDesign course - Advanced
InDesign course - Advanced
Advanced InDesign course
If you understand the basics and want to master the application, improve your skills, and increase your productivity, this advanced Adobe InDesign two-day class is for you. This InDesign class helps you master the advanced features for text handling, document layout, and template building. This class includes information to help you build long documents and introduces you to InDesign’s XML capabilities. You will also discover how to create interactive documents for online distribution.
What you learn in this live advanced InDesign course
- Discover how to use templates for efficiency and consistency
- Find out how to use advanced color and transparency effects
- Harness XML capabilities to repurpose content across platforms
- Merge data from other applications to create variable data
- Add interactive features and multimedia to create enhanced digital documents
- Discover productivity enhancers, tips, and helpful preferences to work efficiently
See all course topics
Ways to attend this InDesign course
- Live online from your office or home as a regularly scheduled class
- Live in person as a regularly scheduled class at AGI’s classroom locations
- Private class, online or in-person, at your location - contact us to schedule
Why learn InDesign at AGI
- Hands-on learning: Learn InDesign by doing, using our proven method to gain skills quickly.
- Proven curriculum: We have delivered InDesign training to thousands.
- Our expert instructors are skilled educators and the best in class with InDesign.
- Small class sizes: receive personalized attention with ten or fewer participants per class.
- Repeat for free: If you need a refresher or miss a class day, retake the class at no cost.
- Learn using proven methods: We have been teaching InDesign courses for 20 years
This course is available individually or as part of these certificate programs:
InDesign course - Advanced - Course Dates
All classes are led by a live instructor. Class times listed are Eastern time.
Advanced InDesign course: Topics covered
Building InDesign templates
- Advantages of template use
- Creating a template layer
- Loading swatches
- Loading styles
- Creating master pages
- Basing masters
- Overriding and detaching master objects
- Creating styles
- Basing styles
- Clearing style overrides
Using color and transparency in InDesign
- Adjusting gradients
- Using the Eyedropper with colors
- Copying swatches between documents
- Previewing color separations
- Connecting effects and transparency
- Feathering graphic margins
- Blending mode options
- Solving printing issues
- Transparency flattener options
- Understanding stitching
Working with long documents using InDesign
- Combining files into books
- Setting the page order
- Creating a table of contents
- Specifying a style source
- Synchronizing long documents
- Creating an index
- Adding topics and cross-references
- Generating an index
- Exporting a book file
- Print Booklet
Harnessing InDesign's XML capabilities
- Viewing XML
- Importing XML tags
- Applying tags to text
- Applying tags to graphic
- Using the Structure pane
- Exporting a document to XML
- Importing XML data
- Mapping tags to styles and styles to tags
- Understanding DTD files
- Validating XML structure
Using InDesign data merge
- Merging steps
- Choosing a data source
- Inserting a text data field
- Adding image fields
- Previewing records
- Updating data fields
- Removing data fields
- Replacing data fields
- Merging records
- Using data fields on master pages
Creating interactive documents using InDesign
- Adding TOC bookmarks
- Arranging, grouping, and sorting bookmarks
- Creating a hyperlink
- Creating a button
- Action types
- Changing button appearance
- Adding a movies or sound
- Choosing a poster frame
- Changing movie options
- Selecting an Acrobat format
Advanced interactive options with InDesign
- Creating motion paths
- Using existing objects as a motion path
- Working with motion presets
- Using Timing to change animation sequences
- Using Layers for interactive elements
- Building and organizing animations
- Creating animation effects: type, slideshows, color transitions, and scrolling text.
- Importing animations
Sharing InDesign documents using Adobe Publish Online
- Understanding InDesign's Publish Online capabilities and limitations
- Design considerations for Adobe publish online
- Using Spreads in Digital Documents
- Creating multi-page documents
- Designing InDesign pages with different sizes
- Understanding InDesign's Publishing settings
- Sharing options: social media, email
- Setting default view
- PDF download option
- Setting Image quality
- Creating document thumbnail image
- Updating previously published documents
- Viewing analytics for published documents
- Viewing published documents online: navigating the interface
- Embedding Adobe Publish Online documents within a website
InDesign productivity enhancers
- Customizing keyboard shortcuts
- Using Smart Guides
- Importing and pasting text
- Using the Eyedropper on text
- Applying styles efficiently
- Nested and next styles
- Updating styled text
- Using libraries and snippets
- Enabling layout adjustment
- Proportionally placing graphics
- Applying controlled leading in your text
- Enabling Smart Text Reflow
- Controlling how text raps around graphics and other objects
- Setting up a baseline grid
- Changing units and increments
- Choosing the appearance of black
- Viewing and changing the baseline grid
- Restoring preferences and defaults
- Resetting warning boxes
- Clipboard handling
The course topics serve as an outline for the course. Instructors may adjust content based on the specific needs of each class, such as to answer your InDesign questions.
Advanced InDesign course prerequisites
We recommend that you have the Adobe InDesign software before starting the class. You can purchase the software, subscribe to Creative Cloud, or obtain a trial version of it from the Adobe website.
If you are looking to use InDesign as part of the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, see our Adobe DPS training class details.
Exceptional InDesign course materials
Our proprietary curriculum has been proven effective in teaching [category short name] to thousands. You’ll receive our extensive written reference along with lesson files for you to continue your practice following the class. This InDesign course includes a copy of our Digital Classroom book with many projects and exercises.
Repeat for free
If you need a refresher or miss a day of class, you can repeat the InDesign class at no additional cost for one year.
Private InDesign classes for companies and groups
This InDesign class is available as a private workshop for your company, group, or team. Use the contact form on this page or call 781 376-6044 to learn more about private classes.
Do I receive a InDesign certificate?
AGI provides a certificate upon course completion, which can be shared on LinkedIn and verified digitally on the AGI website.
How many students are in a InDesign class?
AGI limits its class sizes so that you receive personalized attention. Classes are limited to no more than 10 participants.
Can I get specific InDesign questions answered in the class?
Yes, as a live class, you can ask the instructor questions about how you will be using InDesign.
Does this InDesign class include job placement support?
AGI provides job support only when InDesign classes are taken as part of a longer-term certificate program, where AGI has a dedicated career counselor assigned to each certificate student.
Is this InDesign class for Mac or Windows?
Using a Mac or Windows computer, you can attend this InDesign class. The application itself has identical functionality for both. If attending in our classrooms, a computer will be provided using the operating system of your choice.