Reviews of our InDesign course - Intermediate
InDesign course - Intermediate - Introduction rating: 5 stars from 326 reviewers
"I'm absolutely thrilled to have learned InDesign. Michael really demystified the program, and I really enjoyed the way he presented the information to the group. This was my "jump into the deep end" effort to get up-to-date with technology in my field and thank you so much to Michael for making that possible! " - Kirby GSee all reviews for InDesign courses and classes
All InDesign classes include
Certificate of Completion
InDesign course - Intermediate
Intermediate InDesign course
Intermediate InDesign course
This two-day Adobe InDesign course is designed for individuals who already know the fundamentals of InDesign and want to learn more advanced functions to improve speed and productivity. This advanced InDesign training class will teach you advanced styles, text formatting, graphics controls, and output options. This class helps you create and edit complex documents using consistent styling methods to automate repetitive work. If you are looking for an InDesign class for books, magazines, or catalogs or working more efficiently with complex documents, this course is for you.
What you learn in this live intermediate InDesign course
- Use advanced capabilities for editing, aligning, and arranging text and tables
- Build complex styles and methods to automate text formatting
- Import, silhouette, and anchor images to text so images and text remain together
- Apply advanced formatting and styles to tables
- Enhance long documents with Table of Contents and Index
- Apply transparency, shadows, and other effects to add impact to design
See all course topics
Ways to attend this InDesign course
- Live online from your office or home as a regularly scheduled class
- Live in person as a regularly scheduled class at AGI’s classroom locations
- Private class, online or in-person, at your location - contact us to schedule
Why learn InDesign at AGI
- Hands-on learning: Learn InDesign by doing using our proven method to gain skills quickly.
- Proven curriculum: We have delivered InDesign training to thousands.
- Our expert instructors are skilled educators and the best in class with InDesign.
- Small class sizes: receive personalized attention with ten or fewer participants per class.
- Repeat for free: If you need a refresher or miss a class day, retake the class at no cost.
- Learn using proven methods: We have been teaching InDesign courses for 20 years
This course is available individually or as part of these certificate programs:
InDesign course - Intermediate - Course Dates
All classes are led by a live instructor. Class times listed are Eastern time.
Intermediate Adobe InDesign course: overview
- Working more efficiently in InDesign
- Preferences in InDesign
- Advanced typography in InDesign
- Gradients in InDesign
- Grids, guides, margins, and columns in InDesign
- Master pages in InDesign
- Defining sections and section numbering in InDesign
- Prepress & printing in InDesign
Intermediate Adobe InDesign course: Topics covered
Controlling Text and type with InDesign
- Editing text using the Story Editor
- Using track changes
- Drag-and-drop text editing
- Adjusting text inset
- Vertically aligning text
- Viewing and changing the baseline grid
- Adding story jumps to auto-link continued text
- Placing text on a path
- Efficiently importing text to map styles and formatting
- Finding and fixing missing fonts
Using Advanced InDesign Styles for consistent formatting and efficiency
- Using nested styles
- Redefining styles
- Breaking links to styles
- Additional style options
- Creating a new style group
- Using Quick Apply
- Selecting all unused styles
- Editing export tags
- Sorting styles
- GREP styles
Advanced InDesign graphics features
- Auto fitting
- Using Adobe Bridge to import graphics
- Placing multiple graphics using Mini Bridge
- Applying object styles to images
- Using clipping paths and alpha channels
- Removing an image background
- Using anchored objects
- Advanced importing
- Importing layered Photoshop files
- Importing InDesign layouts as graphics
Advanced tables in InDesign
- Formatting cells and text
- Text alignment and inset within a cell
- Formatting text in tables by column
- Working with tables in Story Editor
- Defining a header cell
- Setting column and row dimensions
- Setting a fixed row height
- Setting column width
- Creating and applying cell styles
- Creating and applying table styles
Using InDesign book and long document functionality
- Creating a book from multiple files
- Defining pagination and document order
- Synchronizing book attributes
- Creating captions
- Creating a table of contents
- Building an index
- Adding topics
- Adding cross-references
- Adding text variables
- Exporting from the Book panel
Creating digital documents using InDesign
- Interactive design considerations
- Adding a hyperlink
- Adding buttons
- Creating page transitions
- Creating animations
- Using liquid layout
- Working with linked content
- Exporting to an interactive PDF
- Adding PDF form fields
Using InDesign's effects
- Applying opacity to objects
- Applying effects to strokes or fills
- Adjusting effects
- Object styles with effects
- Using find/change to apply object styles
- Converting text to a path
- Applying blending modes to objects
- Working with imported transparent files
- Applying an alpha channel selection
- Applying a path selection
Essential InDesign skills for improved productivity
- Using the InDesign pages panel
- Adjusting the workspace
- Using paragraph and character styles
- Applying object styles
- Using advanced find/change functionality
- Formatting graphics and setting default import options
- Controlling text wrap
- Using layers
The course topics serve as an outline for the course. Instructors may adjust content based on the specific needs of each class, such as to answer your InDesign questions
Custom and private InDesign classes
This InDesign course is available as a private class. Curriculum can be customized for your specific needs. InDesign classes can be delivered at your location, online, or in our classrooms. For more information, call 781-376-6044 to speak with a training consultant or contact us.
Intermediate Adobe InDesign course: Prerequisites
We recommend that you have the InDesign app before starting this InDesign course. You can purchase the software, subscribe to the Creative Cloud, or obtain a trial version from the Adobe website.
Exceptional InDesign course materials
Our proprietary curriculum has been proven effective in teaching [category short name] to thousands. You’ll receive our extensive written reference along with lesson files for you to continue your practice following the class. This InDesign course includes a copy of our Digital Classroom book with many projects and exercises.
Repeat for free
If you need a refresher or miss a day of class, you can repeat the InDesign class at no additional cost for one year.
Private InDesign classes for companies and groups
This InDesign class is available as a private workshop for your company, group, or team. Use the contact form on this page or call 781 376-6044 to learn more about private classes.
Do I receive a InDesign certificate?
AGI provides a certificate upon course completion, which can be shared on LinkedIn and verified digitally on the AGI website.
How many students are in a InDesign class?
AGI limits its class sizes so that you receive personalized attention. Classes are limited to no more than 10 participants.
Can I get specific InDesign questions answered in the class?
Yes, as a live class, you can ask the instructor questions about how you will be using InDesign.
Does this InDesign class include job placement support?
AGI provides job support only when InDesign classes are taken as part of a longer-term certificate program, where AGI has a dedicated career counselor assigned to each certificate student.
Is this InDesign class for Mac or Windows?
Using a Mac or Windows computer, you can attend this InDesign class. The application itself has identical functionality for both. If attending in our classrooms, a computer will be provided using the operating system of your choice.