Anyone wanting to learn Figma should consider learning prerequisite skills before starting to learn this UX prototyping app. Figma is a popular interface design tool used by designers and developers to create logos, icons, and other digital assets. There are useful skills for anyone to have before learning Figma.
Figma prerequisite skills
If you are planning to learn Figma, it is important to have certain prerequisite skills that will make the learning process smoother and more effective:
- Knowledge of basic design principles: Before learning Figma, or any design tool, it is important to have a good understanding of basic design principles, including typography, color theory, layout, and composition. Using these principles, Figma users make informed creative decisions when generating new designs in Figma. For example, designers might use their understanding of typography and color theory to choose the right color schemes and font size for a specific project. This is one of the most useful prerequisites for learning Figma.
- Familiarity with vector graphics: Because Figma is a vector graphics editor, which means that all of the assets you created in the application are made up of vectors, it is important to have some familiarity with vector graphics before using the application. Vector graphics are made up of points, lines, and curves that can be scaled without losing quality. If you have used other vector graphics editors like Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape, you will find it easier to learn Figma.
- Experience with other design tools: If you have used other design tools like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, or Adobe XD, you will find easier to learn. This is because Figma shares some similarities with these tools, such as the use of layers and the ability to create and edit shapes. Familiarity with these tools will also help users understand the design process and workflow.
- Knowledge of user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design process: Since Figma is primarily used for UI and UX design, it is crucial that users are familiar with their fundamentals. This includes knowledge of user interface patterns, such as buttons, forms, and menus, as well as usability, accessibility, and user testing. Users who have a firm understanding of these principles will be able to create designs that are user-friendly and effective. If these are new skills for you, consider the UX Design Principles course.
- Strong communication skills: Figma is frequently used by teams of designers, and being able to communicate effectively is an integral part of collaboration. This includes the giving and receiving feedback, as well as the ability to explain design decisions, work collaboratively with others, and manage version control.
Although Figma’s interface is user-friendly, individuals who are new to using the application should consider learning these prerequisite skills or enrolling in a formal training program before working in the application. These are especially valuable options for beginners who want to improve their design skills or pursue a career in UX design.
What is Figma
Cloud-based design and prototyping application Figma helps designers and developers create a variety of projects, from interactive prototypes to mobile app interfaces and websites. In January 2023, Adobe purchased Figma for $20 million, an acquisition that is still pending approval by the US government.
Figma offers a customizable interface with a range of features to support the UX design process. It includes support for design systems, multi-user editing, and developer handoff tools to transition designs into production. Designers can use these features to work efficiently on wireframing, prototyping, and other visual design tasks.
Figma also plays a crucial role in the workflow of remote design teams. As a cloud-based application, Figma can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection, allowing designers to work on their projects from multiple devices without being in the same physical location. Designers and developers can launch the application in a browser or as a desktop app on desktop computers and tablets from both MacOS and Windows. Learn more about what Figma is.
Why learn Figma
For individuals or teams looking to create high-quality prototypes of websites and apps, Figma provides tools and built-in design templates. Whether you're working on a website, app, or interface, Figma has tools that help at various stages of the design process, without needing to switch between applications.
Design teams find Figma’s collaborative capabilities useful, along with the capabilities to handoff completed work to developers, helping to reduce errors and miscommunication as work moves from the design process to development. Find out more about why you should learn Figma.
Figma certifications and certificates
Both certifications and certificates in Figma are beneficial ways for job applicants and freelancers to prove their proficiency in the application to potential employers and clients. A Figma certification is an administered exam that proves a user has a specific level of proficiency. Some exams are offered by manufacturers, and you can learn more about Figma certifications and certificates.
A Figma certificate shows that an individual has completed a stand-alone Figma course, or attended a Figma course as part of a certification program, such as a UX certificate or web design certificate. For example, Individuals who finish the required coursework for the American Graphic Institute’s (AGI) introductory Figma course or UX certificate program earn a certificate of completion.
Options for learning Figma
You can learn Figma with live training from live, expert instructors. Through practice that is part of the hands-on training that includes exercises and projects, you’ll gain proficiency in creation and collaboration as you design prototypes of websites and apps.
- AGI’s Figma basics course teaches how to create new prototypes, test designs, received feedback, use collaboration tools, work with prototyping tools and reusable components. Participants gain a solid understanding of how to work with Figma.
- Live Figma training is beneficial for individuals seeking hands-on instruction from trained professionals in a small group setting :
- You can learn Figma from anywhere with an instructor that that comes to your office, or through live online training, or a private training for your group. See all locations for Figma training.
- Attend a Figma course from anywhere with live online Figma classes.
- Discover more options for how to learn Figma.