Reviews of our Adobe Illustrator Bootcamp
Adobe Illustrator Bootcamp - Introduction rating: 5 stars from 180 reviewers
"I enjoyed my Illustrator class with Michael. He was engaging and made us feel at ease with our questions. I would definitely take another class with him." - Christina KSee all reviews for Adobe Illustrator classes & training
All Adobe Illustrator classes include
Certificate of Completion
Adobe Illustrator Bootcamp
Adobe Illustrator Bootcamp
Adobe Illustrator Bootcamp: Course overview
This comprehensive Adobe Illustrator bootcamp training teaches foundational skills through advanced topics over four consecutive days. In this Illustrator bootcamp, you discover how to build artwork used for logos, illustrations, icons, user interfaces, technical drawings, and more. Participants learn to use the pen tool, create and transform shapes, use layers to organize artwork and build scalable artwork. The bootcamp starts with entry-level topics and then migrates to more advanced skills. Introductory and advanced courses can also be taken separately.
What you learn in this live Illustrator Bootcamp course
- Understand the Illustrator workspace and tools to work efficiently and creatively
- Use the drawing and shape tools to create your own designs
- Use layers to organize artwork and different versions
- Create your own artwork with color, textures, and text
- Add color and patterns using Appearance, Live Paint, Color, and Swatches
- Enhance appearance with effects and transparency
- Get creative with gradients, blends, patterns, and meshes
- Import images and illustrations
- Prepare files for sharing in many formats
- See all course topics
Ways to attend this Adobe Illustrator course
- Live online from your office or home
- Live in person at AGI’s classroom locations
- Private class, online or in-person, at your location - contact us to schedule
Why learn Adobe Illustrator at AGI
- Hands-on learning: Learn Adobe Illustrator by doing with our proven method to quickly gain skills.
- Proven curriculum: We have delivered Adobe Illustrator training to thousands.
- Our expert instructors are skilled educators and the best in class with Adobe Illustrator.
- Small class sizes: Receive personalized attention with ten or fewer participants per class.
- Repeat for Free: If you need a refresher or miss a class day, retake the class at no cost.
- Learn using proven methods: We have been teaching Adobe Illustrator courses for 20 years
This course is available individually or as part of these certificate programs:
Adobe Illustrator Bootcamp - Course Dates
All classes are led by a live instructor. Class times listed are Eastern time.
Adobe Illustrator Bootcamp: Topics covered
Module 1: Getting to know the Adobe Illustrator workspace
- Exploring the Illustrator interface
- Choosing a workspace
- Opening a file
- Using artboards
- Changing your view
- Zooming and scrolling
- Using tools and panels
- Exploring the Control panel
- Working with panels and the dock
- Saving workspaces and shortcuts
Module 2: Adobe Illustrator essentials
- Using Illustrator's shape tools
- Repositioning and visually resizing the shapes
- Putting the Transform panel to work
- Constraining a shape
- Entering exact dimensions
- Selecting and editing artwork
- Using the shape and transform tools
- Using layers to lock and organize objects
- Repeating transformations
Module 3: Adding color
- Exploring the Appearance panel
- Changing colors in Illustrator
- Adding effects
- Using Live Paint to colorize artwork quickly
- Saving reusable artwork as a symbol
- Saving and editing swatches
- Creating a color group
- Using the Color panel for alternate color models
- Working with Pantone colors
Module 4: Working with the Adobe Illustrator drawing tools
- Understanding the Pen tool
- Drawing straight, curved, and hinged lines
- Creating a tracing artwork from sketches and other applications
- Using the Line, Pencil, and Eraser tools
- Editing existing paths
- Adding and removing points
- Cutting and joining paths
- Combining shapes with the Shape Builder
Module 5: Exploring advanced Adobe Illustrator color options
- Adding tonal values with gradients
- Customizing an existing gradient
- Using the Gradient panel
- Creating and using patterns
- Defining patterns and other artwork with bounding boxes
- Using the Color Guide to locate color harmonies
Module 6: Creating and formatting text using Illustrator
- Formatting text
- Paragraph formatting
- Using paragraph and character styles
- Editing styles
- Putting text on a path
- Warping text
- Putting text in a shape
- Converting text to outlines
- Checking spelling and using find and replace
Module 7: Using layers in Adobe Illustrator
- Getting to know the Layers panel
- Using layers to organize your illustrations
- Using the Layers panel to make selections
- Creating new layers
- Showing and hiding layers
- Locking and unlocking layers
- Rearranging layers
- Moving items between layers
- Remembering layers when pasting
- Creating a template layer
Module 8: Working with symbols in Illustrator
- Understanding symbols and instances
- Creating and editing symbols
- Importing a symbol library
- Modifying symbol instances
- Using the symbolism tools
- Editing nested symbols
- Replacing symbols
- Saving symbol libraries
Module 9: Using Adobe Illustrator effects and transparency
- Working with the Appearance panel
- Applying and editing effects
- Creating and saving graphic styles
- Working with object transparency
- Experimenting with multiple opacities
- Understanding blending modes
- Saving and importing graphic styles
- Applying graphic styles to layers and symbols
Module 10: Exporting and saving files from Illustrator
- Saving using the AI format
- Saving an illustration with layers
- Saving a layered PDF
- Exporting for Photoshop
- Integrating with InDesign
- Exporting for Figma and other prototyping tools
- Integrating with Premiere and After Effects
- Saving for Web
Module 11: Advanced Illustrator blending techniques
- Using the Blend tool in Adobe Illustrator
- Applying a gradient
- Understanding linear vs. radial gradients
- Using gradient mesh options
- Adjusting a mesh
- Advanced blending options for creating realistic shading
- Selecting multiple mesh points to define shape
- Adding highlights to blends
Module 12: Advanced Adobe Illustrator features
- Using the adjustable user interface
- Image trace
- Pattern options panel
- Gradients on strokes
- Creating and releasing masks
- Expandable color spectrum
- Character panel enhancements
- Generative color artificial intelligence (beta feature, not fully functional)
The course topics serve as an outline for the course. Instructors may adjust content based on the specific needs of each class, such as to answer your Adobe Illustrator questions.
Adobe Illustrator Bootcamp: Prerequisites
We recommend that you have the Adobe Illustrator application before starting the class so that you are able to practice upon course completion. You can purchase the software, license Creative Cloud, or obtain a trial version of it at from the Adobe website.
Exceptional Adobe Illustrator Course Materials
Our proprietary curriculum has been proven effective in teaching [category short name] to thousands. You’ll receive our extensive written reference along with lesson files for you to continue your practice following the class. This introductory course includes a copy of our Digital Classroom book with many projects and exercises.
Repeat for Free
If you need a refresher or miss a day of class, you can repeat the Adobe Illustrator class at no additional cost for one year.
Private Adobe Illustrator classes for companies and groups
This Adobe Illustrator class is available as a private workshop for your company, group, or team. Use the contact form on this page or call 781 376-6044 to learn more about private classes.
Adobe Illustrator FAQ
Do I receive a Adobe Illustrator certificate?
AGI provides a certificate upon course completion which can be shared on LinkedIn and verified digitally on the AGI website.
How many students are in a Adobe Illustrator class?
AGI limits its class sizes so that you receive personalized attention. Classes are limited to no more than 10 participants.
Can I get specific Adobe Illustrator questions answered in the class?
Yes, as a live class, you can ask the instructor questions about how you will be using Adobe Illustrator.
Does this Adobe Illustrator class include job placement support?
AGI provides job support only when Adobe Illustrator classes are taken as part of a longer-term certificate program, where AGI has a dedicated career counselor assigned to each certificate student.
Is this Adobe Illustrator class for Mac or Windows?
Using a Mac or Windows computer, you can attend this Adobe Illustrator class. The application itself has identical functionality for both. If attending in our classrooms, a computer will be provided using the operating system of your choice.