Reviews of our Photoshop class - Introduction
Photoshop class - Introduction - Introduction rating: 5 stars from 266 reviewers
"Kevin was great about applying the course to what I needed to know about Photoshop. Each lesson was beneficial to me and was clearly taught. He is clearly very knowledgeable when it comes to design and Photoshop. The class went by quickly but I did not feel overwhelmed with material. I am glad that is was hands on because it was helpful to practice each lesson as we covered new material." - Heather SSee all reviews for Photoshop classes
All Photoshop classes include
Certificate of Completion
Photoshop class - Introduction
Photoshop class - Introduction
What you learn in this live Photoshop course
- Effectively navigate the Photoshop workspace and tools
- Edit specific areas of an image and remove unwanted items
- Remove backgrounds and retouch images using Photoshop
- Color correct images and apply useful adjustments
- Use layers to organize revisions and safeguard original artwork
- Leverage artificial intelligence (AI) for Photoshop selections
See all course topics
Introduction to Photoshop class
This two-day introductory Photoshop class is the foundation course in our series of Photoshop classes and is recommended for Photoshop users who have never had formal training in Photoshop. In this Photoshop course you learn how to properly use Photoshop's tools, discover how to retouch and color correct images, and learn professional image editing workflows. Even experienced Photoshop users with no formal training benefit from this class as it includes tips, tricks, keyboard shortcuts and essential foundation skills. This is the perfect Photoshop course for beginners or for those who use Photoshop but will benefit from formal training.
Ways to attend this Photoshop course
- Live online from your office or home on regularly scheduled dates
- Live in-person at AGI’s classroom locations on regularly scheduled dates
- Private or custom Photoshop course either online or in-person on dates you select. Contact us for details
Why Photoshop classes at AGI are the best option for you
- Hands-on learning: Learn Photoshop quickly with our proven teaching methods.
- Exceptional curriculum: AGI has delivered Photoshop training to thousands over 25 years.
- Expert instructors: Our instructors are Photoshop experts and skilled educators.
- Small class sizes: Receive personalized attention with 10 or fewer participants per class.
- Repeat for Free: If you need a refresher or miss a class day, retake the Photoshop class at no cost.
This course is available individually or as part of these certificate programs:
Photoshop class - Introduction - Course Dates
All classes are led by a live instructor. Class times listed are Eastern time.
Introduction to Photoshop class topics
Module 1: Navigating Photoshop: Getting to know the workspace
- Workspace, tools, and panels
- Understanding Bridge
- Discovering the Tools panel
- Accessing tools and their options
- Customizing your panels
- Navigating the image area
- Maximizing productivity with screen modes
Module 2: Organizing and managing Photoshop files using Adobe Bridge
- Navigating files using Bridge
- Making a favorite to access Photoshop files and locations easily
- Creating and locating metadata
- Opening a file from Adobe Bridge
- Searching for files using Adobe Bridge
- Saving a collection
- Automation tools in Adobe Bridge
Module 3: Making and using Selections in Photoshop
- Using artificial intelligence (AI) selection tools
- The importance of good selections
- Using the marquee tools
- Changing selections into layers
- Working with the Magic Wand tool
- Using Photoshop's Lasso tool
- Adding to and subtracting from selections
- Saving selections
- Feathering selections
- Using the selections tools, quick select and select subject
- Making difficult selections
- Using Quick Mask
- Copying and pasting selections
- Using Photoshop's Pen tool for selections
Module 4: Painting and retouching in Photoshop
- Defining your color settings
- Color primer: understanding color
- Understanding color gamut
- Working with different color models
- Selecting colors in Photoshop
- Starting to paint color corrections
- Using Photoshop's Brush tools
- Changing opacity
- Using the Brush Presets
- Using the Airbrush feature
- Applying color to an image
- Changing Photoshop's blending modes
- The Eyedropper tool
- Retouching images
- Using the Clone Stamp tool
- Using the History panel
- Working with the Spot Healing Brush
- Fixing images with Photoshop's Healing Brush
- Using the Patch tool
- Using the Clone Source panel
Module 5: Color Correcting Images with Photoshop
- Choosing Photoshop color settings
- Photoshop Color Modes: working in RGB when color correcting
- Reading a Photoshop histogram
- Making Curve adjustments
- Benefits of defining a highlight and shadow.
- Locating the White and Black Point
- Entering the white and black point values
- Adjusting mid-tones in an image
- Setting the neutral
- Sharpening images in Photoshop
- Correcting red-eye in images
- Using the Camera Raw plug-in
- Using Camera Raw controls
- Saving and reopening a DNG file
Module 6: Using Content-Aware Tools in Photoshop
- Adding image area: expanding an image using Photoshop
- Viewing the on-screen ruler
- Converting the Background into a layer
- Scaling the background
- Using Photoshop's Content-Aware Fill
- Content-Aware Moves in Photoshop
- Content-Aware retouching in Photoshop
Module 7: Introduction to Photoshop Layers
- Discovering Photoshop layers
- Selecting and rearranging layers
- Using masks in a layer
- Removing backgrounds
- Preserve transparency in a Photoshop image
- Creating a composition: merging images together in Photoshop
- Moving layers from one document to another
- Creating and editing a layer mask
- Cloning Photoshop layers
- Aligning and distributing layers
- Applying filters to layers
- Creating a type layer
- Applying a layer style
- Creating a clipping mask
- Filtering Photoshop layers
The course topics serve as an outline for the course. Instructors may adjust content based on the specific needs of each class, including adding topics to answer your questions.
Photoshop class overview video
This 90-second video provides an overview of the introduction to Photoshop class.
Prerequisites for the introduction to Photoshop class
While a computer is provided for the Photoshop classes at American Graphics Institute, we recommend that you have the Adobe Photoshop application before starting the class to allow you to practice upon course completion. If you are attending this Photoshop class online from your home or office, you will need to have installed Photoshop before the start of the class. You can purchase the software or obtain a trial version from the Adobe website.
Exceptional Photoshop course curriculum
You will receive a copy of the full-color Photoshop Digital Classroom book created by the Adobe Certified Instructors at AGI. Our instructors have created many of the official Photoshop training guides and books for Adobe Systems. This best-selling book is widely used around the world to teach Photoshop, and you learn directly directly from the experts using American Graphics Institute's proprietary curriculum.
This course is also included in the series of Photoshop certification training courses we offer.
Repeat for Free
If you need a refresher or miss a day of class you can repeat the Photoshop class at no additional cost for one year.
Who benefits from the introductory Photoshop course
Anyone who needs to work with digital images, create marketing materials or creative content for their work, whether online or in print. Common roles we see in this course include marketing professionals, graphic designers, UX / UI designers, photographers, and sales professionals.
Photoshop class FAQ
Do I receive a certificate from the Photoshop course?
AGI provides a certificate upon course completion which can be shared on LinkedIn and verified digitally on the AGI website.
How many students are in a Photoshop class?
AGI limits its class sizes so that you receive personalized attention. Classes are limited to no more than 10 participants.
Can I get specific Photoshop questions answered in the class?
Yes, as a live class you can ask the instructor questions about how you will be using Photoshop.
Does this Photoshop class include job placement support?
AGI provides job support only when classes are taken as part of a longer-term certificate program, where AGI has a dedicated career counselor assigned to each certificate student.
Is this Photoshop class for Mac or Windows?
You can attend this class using a Mac or Windows computer. The application itself has identical functionality for both. If attending in our classrooms, a computer will be provided using the operating system of your choice.
Jobs that use Photoshop
There are many jobs and careers where Photoshop is a useful skill, including Graphic Designer, Multimedia Designer, Marketing Manager, Public Relations Professional, Social Media Manager, Sales Professional.
Become a graphic designer by learning Photoshop
Learning Photoshop is one of the skills needed to become a graphic designer. Graphic designers use Photoshop regularly to edit, enhance, and combine images used in print, online, and in video. The average salary for a graphic designer is $53,100 per year based upon information from career surveys conducted by indeed.com and glassdoor.com.
Custom and private Photoshop classes
This Photoshop course is available as a private class. Curriculum can be customized for your specific needs. Photoshop classes can be delivered at your location, online, or in our classrooms. For more information, call 781-376-6044 to speak with a training consultant or contact us.