Reviews of our Adobe Illustrator class - Introduction
Adobe Illustrator class - Introduction - Introduction rating: 5 stars from 180 reviewers
"I enjoyed my Illustrator class with Michael. He was engaging and made us feel at ease with our questions. I would definitely take another class with him." - Christina KSee all reviews for Adobe Illustrator classes & training
All Adobe Illustrator classes include
Certificate of Completion
Adobe Illustrator class - Introduction
Adobe Illustrator Class - Introduction
Introduction to Adobe Illustrator class-course overview
In this two-day or four evening class Adobe Illustrator course, you learn how to use Illustrator to create high-quality illustrations, logos, icons, UI elements, and other custom artwork. Our entry-level Illustrator class is perfect for beginners or those with no formal Illustrator training, and introduces you to the powerful Pen tool and shows how to create and transform existing shapes and build scalable graphics. You’ll also discover the power of layers to organize your artwork and explore the options for exporting Illustrator files.
What you learn in this live introductory Illustrator course
- Effectively navigate the Illustrator workspace and tools
- Create, reposition, and transform basic vector shapes
- Add color using Appearance, Live Paint, Color, and Swatches
- Work with the drawing tools to create and edit vector paths
- Incorporate, format, and customize type
- Use layers to organize, arrange and safeguard artwork
- Learn the foundations of artificial intelligence (AI) in Illustrator
See all course topics
Ways to attend this introductory Adobe Illustrator Course
- Live online from your office or home as a regularly scheduled class
- Live in person as a regularly scheduled class at AGI’s classroom locations
- Private class, online or in-person, at your location - contact us to schedule
Why learn Adobe Illustrator at AGI
- Hands-on learning: Learn Adobe Illustrator by doing with our proven method to quickly gain skills.
- Proven curriculum: We have delivered Adobe Illustrator training to thousands.
- Our instructors are the best in class with Adobe Illustrator and are skilled educators.
- Small class sizes: Receive personalized attention with ten or fewer participants per class.
- Learn using proven methods: We have been teaching Adobe Illustrator courses for 20 years
This course is available individually or as part of these certificate programs:
Adobe Illustrator class - Introduction - Course Dates
All classes are led by a live instructor. Class times listed are Eastern time.
Adobe Illustrator class - Introduction: Overview of topics covered
- Getting to know the workspace
- Illustrator essentials
- Adding color
- Using AI recoloring tools
- Working with the drawing tools
- Exploring additional color options
- Editing and formatting text
- Organizing your Illustrations with layers
Adobe Illustrator class introduction: Complete topics covered
Module 1: Getting to know the Adobe Illustrator workspace
- Exploring the Illustrator interface
- Choosing a workspace
- Opening a file
- Using artboards
- Changing your view
- Zooming and scrolling
- Using tools and panels
- Exploring the Control panel
- Working with panels and the dock
- Saving workspaces and shortcuts
Module 2: Adobe Illustrator essentials
- Using Illustrator's shape tools
- Repositioning and visually resizing the shapes
- Putting the Transform panel to work
- Constraining a shape
- Entering exact dimensions
- Selecting artwork
- Using the shape and transform tools
- Introducing layers
- Cutting and pasting objects
- Repeating transformations
Module 3: Adding color
- Exploring the Appearance panel
- Changing colors in Illustrator
- Adding effects
- Using Live Paint
- Adding a symbol
- Saving swatches
- Selecting the same color
- Creating a color group
- Using the Color panel
Module 4: Working with the Adobe Illustrator Drawing Tools
- Understanding the Pen tool
- Drawing straight, curved, and hinged lines
- Tracing images
- Creating a tracing template
- Working with Image Trace
- Using the Line, Pencil, and Eraser tools
- Editing existing paths
- Adding and removing points
- Cutting and joining paths
- Combining shapes with the Shape Builder
Module 5: Exploring additional Adobe Illustrator color options
- Adding tonal values with gradients
- Customizing an existing gradient
- Saving the gradient
- Applying a second instance of the gradient
- Updating a gradient
- Creating and using patterns
- Editing a pattern fill
- Locating existing patterns
- Creating a Color Group
- Using the Color Guide
- Exploring the new AI (Artificial intelligence) tools for recoloring artwork
Module 6: Working with and formatting text using Illustrator
- Formatting text
- Paragraph formatting
- Using paragraph and character styles
- Editing styles
- Putting text on a path
- Warping text
- Putting text in a shape
- Creating outlines
- Checking spelling
- Using find and replace
Module 7: An introduction to Illustrator's layers
- Getting to know the Layers panel
- Using layers to organize your illustrations
- Using the Layers panel to make selections
- Creating new layers
- Showing and hiding layers
- Locking and unlocking layers
- Rearranging layers
- Moving items between layers
- Remembering layers when pasting
- Creating a template layer
The course topics serve as an outline for the course. Instructors may adjust content based on the specific needs of each class, such as to answer your Adobe Illustrator questions.
Custom and private Adobe Illustrator classes
This Adobe Illustrator course is available as a private class. Curriculum can be customized for your specific needs. Adobe Illustrator classes can be delivered at your location, online, or in our classrooms. For more information, call 781-376-6044 to speak with a training consultant or contact us.
Adobe Illustrator Class - Introduction: Prerequisites
This Illustrator class is for beginners or those with experience but without formal training. No previous experience is required. We recommend that you have the Adobe Illustrator application before starting the class. You can purchase the software, license Creative Cloud, or obtain a trial version of it at from the Adobe website.
Exceptional Adobe Illustrator Course Materials
Our proprietary curriculum has been proven effective in teaching [category short name] to thousands. You’ll receive our extensive written reference along with lesson files for you to continue your practice following the class. This introductory course includes a copy of our Digital Classroom book with many projects and exercises.
Repeat for Free
If you need a refresher or miss a day of class, you can repeat the Adobe Illustrator class at no additional cost for one year.
Private Adobe Illustrator classes for companies and groups
This Adobe Illustrator class is available as a private workshop for your company, group, or team. Use the contact form on this page or call 781 376-6044 to learn more about private classes.
Adobe Illustrator FAQ
Do I receive a Adobe Illustrator certificate?
AGI provides a certificate upon course completion, which can be shared on LinkedIn and verified digitally on the AGI website.
How many students are in a Adobe Illustrator class?
AGI limits its class sizes so that you receive personalized attention. Classes are limited to no more than 10 participants.
Can I get specific Adobe Illustrator questions answered in the class?
Yes, as a live class, you can ask the instructor questions about how you will be using Adobe Illustrator.
Does this Adobe Illustrator class include job placement support?
AGI provides job support only when Adobe Illustrator classes are taken as part of a longer-term certificate program, where AGI has a dedicated career counselor assigned to each certificate student.
Is this Adobe Illustrator class for Mac or Windows?
You can attend this Adobe Illustrator class using a Mac or Windows computer. The application itself has identical functionality for both. If attending in our classrooms, a computer will be provided using the operating system of your choice.