All classes include
Certificate of Completion
Graphic Design Class Online July 14, 2023 Fundementals
Graphic Design course
Learn design concepts and principles to increase your confidence in designs that you create while making certain they follow best practices and principles in this intensive graphic design course. Discover how guidelines and theories impact layout, type and color in this one-day graphic design course that teaches fundamental skills that are practical for users across various roles and functions.
Graphic Design course topics
Graphic design from a historical perspective
- Why design is important
- Influence of Art Nouveau, Cubism, Bauhaus, German and Swiss Design in modern art
- Understanding the International Typographic Style
- Review of major influencers in modern design
- Origins of function determines form and fierce reduction of unnecessary elements.
Understanding the importance of sketching
- Low fidelity methods
- Developing innovative concepts
- Creating flexibility in the early stages of design
- Focusing on ideas, not tools
Understanding space in graphic design
- Understanding and using negative space
- Creating designs that utilize white and non-whitespace
Balance in your designs
- Understanding types of balance
- Experimenting with symmetrical and asymmetrical designs
- Experimenting with weight to create more dynamic designs
Adding rhythm and harmony to your design
- Discovering how patterns and repetition can lead the eye
- Create more effective designs using these principles
Typography: effective use of type
- Typeface scenarios.
- Understanding which typefaces are best to use in different situations
- Type terminology and what it means
- Basic typography rules that help improve viewer’s experience
- Building an effective and successful information hierarchy with a type ramp
- Understanding how to maximize design with a typographic grid
- Type as an art form
Understanding design proportions
- Building a beautifully proportioned layout for your design
- How positioning can affect the aesthetics of your design
- Incorporating the golden mean into your designs
Influence of color on graphic design
- Understanding HSL (Hue, Saturation, and Luminosity)
- Designing with color
- Understanding and using harmony rules
The course topics serve as an outline for the course. Instructors may adjust content based on the specific needs of each class, such as to answer your questions.
Repeat for Free
If you need a refresher or miss a day of class you can repeat the class at no additional cost for one year.
Do I receive a certificate?
AGI provides a certificate upon course completion, which can be shared on LinkedIn and verified digitally on the AGI website.
How many students are in a class?
AGI limits its class sizes so that you receive personalized attention. Classes are limited to no more than 10 participants.
Can I get specific questions answered in the class?
Yes, as a live class, you can ask the instructor questions about how you will be using .
Does this class include job placement support?
AGI provides job support only when classes are taken as part of a longer-term certificate program, where AGI has a dedicated career counselor assigned to each certificate student.
Is this class for Mac or Windows?
You can attend this class using a Mac or Windows computer. The application itself has identical functionality for both. If attending in our classrooms, a computer will be provided using the operating system of your choice.